Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center
Seminar Series/Study Group Listings
- BNORC Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminars: Meets select Tuesdays at 10am
- Monday Nutrition Seminars at the Harvard School of Public Health
- Tufts - HNRCA Monday Seminar Series
DIVISION OF NUTRITION AT HARVARD, LONGWOOD NUTRITION SEMINAR 2014-2015,
Meets 1st Tuesday of Each Month, 12:00 – 1:00 PM
Department of Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics, Sterling Drug Distinguished Lecturer Seminar Series, Boston Univ. School of Medicine
Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 2:00 PM
Refreshments in L-110 at 1:45 P.M.
“SREBPs as Integrators of Lipid Metabolism and Cell Physiology”
Timothy Osborne, Ph.D.
Professor and Director of Metabolic Disease Program, Sanford Burnham Medical Research Institute, Lake Nona, Orlando, FL
Location: BUSM, 72 East Concord Street, L110
Annual Gershoff Symposium in Honor of Dean Emeritus Stanley Gershoff, PhD
Friday, March 27, 2015 from 1:30 - 5:00pm (Cocktail reception to follow, 5:00 - 6:30pm, Jaharis Cafe)
"Nutrition Messages in the Media: Making Sense of the Chaos"
Panelists: Allison Aubrey (NPR Correspondent), James Hamblin, MD (Senior Editor at The Atlantic), Jennifer Harris (Director of Marketing Initiatives at UConn's Rudd Center for Food Policy & Obesity), and Douglas Seidner, MD (Director of the Vanderbilt Center for Human Nutrition)
Location: Jaharis Family Center, 150 Harrison Avenue, Behrakis Auditorium, Tufts Boston Campus
Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute Seminars, BUSM
Monday, March 30, 2015 at 12:00 Noon
“Regulation of Energy Metabolism by NF-kB in Obesity”
Jianping Ye, M.D.
Professor of Molecular Biology, Chief of Antioxidant and Gene Regulation Laboratory, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University Medical Center – Baton Rouge
Location: BUMC, EBRC Building, 650 Albany Street, 7th Floor Room X715
Dunham Lecture Series, Harvard Medical School
Monday, April 6, 2015, 4pm
“Human Obesity as a Neurobehavioral Disorder: Lessons from Human Genetics”
Stephen O’Rahilly, M.D., F.R.S.
Professor of Clinical Biochemistry and Medicine, University of Cambridge Location: Joseph B. Martin Conference Center, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Amphitheater
For more information please visit hms.harvard.edu
Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminar:
Robert Farese, M.D.
Professor of Genetics and Complex Diseases, Department of Genetics and Complex Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health
Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2015, 10am
Location: BUMC, EBRC Building, 650 Albany Street, 7th Floor, Room 714
Coffee and light refreshments will be served.
Parking is available in the garage located at 710 Albany Street.
Please contact Donna Gibson at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
9th annual "Future of Food and Nutrition" Graduate Student Research Conference
Saturday, April 11th, 2015
Friedman School of Nutrition Science & Policy at Tufts University, Boston, MA
Website for more info
WORKSHOP: Conducting Key Informant Interviews
Sponsored by the Clinical and Community Research Core of BNORC
In this workshop, you will receive training on how to conduct effective key informant interviews. You’ll learn how to obtain the data you need from the interviews, the tasks and traits of a good interviewer, and how to handle challenging interviewees. We’ll also discuss conducting interviews by phone, and conducting interviews with children. There will be ample time for practice conducting interviews with feedback.
Date and time: Friday 17 April 2015, 10 AM – 12 PM
Limited to 8 participants
Register to attend
1st International Symposium On Lipedema
April 17-18, 2015
Location: New York, NY
International Conference on Frailty & Sarcopenia Research
Thursday - Saturday, April 23-25, 2015 Boston, MA
More info and Registration at: www.icfsr.com
Harvard Medical School Division of Nutrition, The 16th Annual Postgraduate Nutrition Symposium Diet and Microbiota in Health and Disease
July 8-9, 2015
Location: Daniel Tosteson Medical Education Center, Carl Walter Amphitheater (2nd Floor), Harvard Medical School, 260 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA
BNORC Annual Program
July 24, 2015 from 9:00 AM-1:30 PM
Ongoing Enrichment Activities
- BNORC hosts an Annual Program or Retreat that provides an opportunity for Center members and other Boston area investigators and clinicians to participate in scientific exchange. This program includes participation of all currently-funded Pilot and Feasibility investigators and is attended by the Center’s Scientific Advisory Committee.
- Obesity Medicine Interhospital Rounds is a conference series, which is a collaborative effort among the obesity treatment programs at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston Medical Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Tufts Medical Center and the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. It will be held Wednesday evenings from 6:30-8:00 pm approximately 6 times per year, rotating to a different hospital for each session.
- Annual symposium or workshop organized by one of the four core laboratories. These programs are intended to provide an educational forum for new and established investigators in the area(s) of expertise of the responsible core laboratory.
- Participation in the ongoing Continuing Medical Education course co-sponsored by Harvard Medical School, Tufts University School of Medicine, and the NAASO: The Obesity Society to transfer the latest information on the causes, consequences and treatment of obesity to the practicing physician. Participation of Center members in the course provides expertise not readily available elsewhere. In addition, BNORC’s inclusion in the CME course helps to promote the identity of the Center and establishes the Center as a resource for expertise in obesity related activities.
- BNORC Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminars (ABM Core): The Study Group meeting includes research seminars and presentations of research in progress and grant proposals for critical review. These bi-monthly meetings are held at BUSM.
- Obesity Journal Club (Clinical and Community Research Core): The Obesity Journal Club meets semi-weekly at TUSM to review papers published in biomedical journal that relate to obesity in population settings. Occasionally, the hour is used for doctoral students to present and get feedback on work in progress.
- Epidemiology Working Group Sponsored Seminars (Epidemiology and Genetics Core): This seminar series is held at Harvard School of Public Health and highlights a guest lecturer in a related field. Please click here for a link to upcoming seminars in the Department of Nutrition, HSPH.
Description of Educational Opportunities
Please note that the Center’s Administrative Core distributes a weekly list of local enrichment activities related to nutrition and obesity via email to BNORC members and others who have expressed an interest. This list includes seminars and programs that are sponsored and/or co-sponsored by the Center as well as other offerings that are not related to the Center. Please email the Center Administrator (email@example.com) if you would like to be added to this list.