Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center
Seminar Series/Study Group Listings
- BNORC Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminars: Meets select Tuesdays at 10am
- Monday Nutrition Seminars at the Harvard School of Public Health
- Tufts - HNRCA Monday Seminar Series
DIVISION OF NUTRITION AT HARVARD, LONGWOOD NUTRITION SEMINAR 2014-2015,
Meets 1st Tuesday of Each Month, 12:00 – 1:00 PM
Special Seminar - NUTRITION AND METABOLISM GRADUATE PROGRAM, BUSM
Monday, June 20, 2016 from 2:00-3:00 PM - Discussion with students and post-docs to follow: 3:00-3:30 PM
“Saturated Fat —To Eat or Not to Eat, Why Is There So Much Controversy?”
Alice Lichtenstein, D.Sc., Gershoff Professor of Nutrition Science and Policy, Director and Senior Scientist at the Cardiovascular Nutrition Laboratory at Tufts University
Location: Room X-714, EBRC Building, 650 Albany Street, Boston
Contact: Adam Long, M.S. Candidate email@example.com for additional information.
DISSERTATION, NUTRITION AND METABOLISM GRADUATE PROGRAM, BUSM
Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 12:00 NOON
“The Theory of Planned Behavior and Implementation Intentions to Describe and Improve Fruit and Vegetable Intake in Women of Low Socioeconomic Status”
Mentor: Lisa Quintiliani, PhD
Location: Boston University School of Medicine, 72 East Concord St, Room L-311, Boston
Obesity Journal Club, Sponsored by BNORC Administrative Core
Tuesday, June 28, 2016 from 12:00-1:00 PM
'Persistent metabolic adaptation 6 years after "The Biggest Loser" competition', by Fothergill et al, recently published in Obesity
Location: M&V 240 at Tufts (Health Sciences Campus, 136 Harrison Ave)
Faculty and students in the greater Boston area are welcome to attend and present. Those interested in participating may come to Tufts or join the discussion in a webinar style format by dialing in via WebEx. If you would like to receive a PDF of the article that will be discussed and/or a WebEx invitation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
HNRCA Scientific Core Unit Seminar Series
Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University
Thursday, June 30, 2016 from 10:00-11:00 AM
“Important Considerations in Design and Utilization of SIL Internal Standards for LC and GC-MS and MS/MS Assays”
Stephen Jones, PhD, Chief Sciences officer, Isosciences and Rich Tyburski, Vice President, Isosciences
Location: The HNRCA Mezzanine Conference Room, 711 Washington Street, Boston
AAAS SymposiumObesity: From Biology to Policy
Thursday, June 30th, 2016
9:00 am - 5:30 pm, reception to follow
Location: 1200 New York Ave NW, Washington DC, 20005
This meeting is free and open to the public with registration.
Harvard Medical School Division of Nutrition, The 17th Annual Postgraduate Nutrition Symposium
“The Adipocyte in Energy Regulation”
July 13-14, 2016
Location: The Joseph B. Martin Center at Harvard Medical School, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston, MA
Registration is required – Email email@example.com or call 703-841-1600 for more information or questions.
Ongoing Enrichment Activities
- BNORC hosts an Annual Program or Retreat that provides an opportunity for Center members and other Boston area investigators and clinicians to participate in scientific exchange. This program includes participation of all currently-funded Pilot and Feasibility investigators and is attended by the Center’s Scientific Advisory Committee.
- Obesity Medicine Interhospital Rounds is a conference series, which is a collaborative effort among the obesity treatment programs at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston Medical Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Tufts Medical Center and the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. It will be held Wednesday evenings from 6:30-8:00 pm approximately 6 times per year, rotating to a different hospital for each session.
- Annual symposium or workshop organized by one of the four core laboratories. These programs are intended to provide an educational forum for new and established investigators in the area(s) of expertise of the responsible core laboratory.
- Participation in the ongoing Continuing Medical Education course co-sponsored by Harvard Medical School, Tufts University School of Medicine, and the NAASO: The Obesity Society to transfer the latest information on the causes, consequences and treatment of obesity to the practicing physician. Participation of Center members in the course provides expertise not readily available elsewhere. In addition, BNORC’s inclusion in the CME course helps to promote the identity of the Center and establishes the Center as a resource for expertise in obesity related activities.
- BNORC Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminars (ABM Core): The Study Group meeting includes research seminars and presentations of research in progress and grant proposals for critical review. These bi-monthly meetings are held at BUSM.
- Obesity Journal Club (Clinical and Community Research Core): The Obesity Journal Club meets semi-weekly at TUSM to review papers published in biomedical journal that relate to obesity in population settings. Occasionally, the hour is used for doctoral students to present and get feedback on work in progress.
- Epidemiology Working Group Sponsored Seminars (Epidemiology and Genetics Core): This seminar series is held at Harvard School of Public Health and highlights a guest lecturer in a related field. Please click here for a link to upcoming seminars in the Department of Nutrition, HSPH.
Description of Educational Opportunities
Please note that the Center’s Administrative Core distributes a weekly list of local enrichment activities related to nutrition and obesity via email to BNORC members and others who have expressed an interest. This list includes seminars and programs that are sponsored and/or co-sponsored by the Center as well as other offerings that are not related to the Center. Please email the Center Administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to be added to this list.