Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center
Seminar Series/Study Group Listings
- BNORC Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminars: Meets select Tuesdays at 10am
- Monday Nutrition Seminars at the Harvard School of Public Health
- Tufts - HNRCA Monday Seminar Series
DIVISION OF NUTRITION AT HARVARD, LONGWOOD NUTRITION SEMINAR 2015-2016,
Meets 1st Tuesday of Each Month, 12:00 – 1:00 PM
Monday Nutrition Seminar SeriesHarvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, Department of Nutrition
Monday, January 23, 2017 from 12:30-1:20PM
“Olfaction and Taste”
Richard L. Doty, PhD
Professor, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
Location: Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue Kresge 502
BU School of Public Health Event
Wednesday, January 25, 2017 from 4:30-6:00PM
“A Global Perspective on Obesity-Related Health Disparities in the United States”
Shiriki K. Kumanyika, Research Professor, Drexel University Dornsife School of Public Health
Location: Boston University School of Medicine, Instructional Building, 72 East Concord Street, Hiebert Lounge
Science Day 2017Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine
Thursday, March 16, 2017 from 9:00AM-4:00PM
Keynote Address 1:00-2:00PM
“Curbing the Global Epidemic of Obesity: From Science to Policy”
Frank Hu, M.D., Ph.D., M.P.H.
Professor of Nutrition and Epidemiology, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health; Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital; and Director, Harvard Transdisciplinary Research in Energetics and Cancer Center
Location: Hiebert Lounge, Boston University School of Medicine, Instructional Building, 14th Floor, 72 East Concord Street
website event flyer
Obesity Working Group Meetingsponsored by the Epidemiology and Genetics Core of the Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center
Monday, April 10, 2017 from 2:00-4:30 PM
Location: Epidemiology Library, Kresge 907, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Ongoing Enrichment Activities
- BNORC hosts an Annual Program or Retreat that provides an opportunity for Center members and other Boston area investigators and clinicians to participate in scientific exchange. This program includes participation of all currently-funded Pilot and Feasibility investigators and is attended by the Center’s Scientific Advisory Committee.
- Obesity Medicine Interhospital Rounds is a conference series, which is a collaborative effort among the obesity treatment programs at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston Medical Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Tufts Medical Center and the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. It will be held Wednesday evenings from 6:30-8:00 pm approximately 6 times per year, rotating to a different hospital for each session.
- Annual symposium or workshop organized by one of the four core laboratories. These programs are intended to provide an educational forum for new and established investigators in the area(s) of expertise of the responsible core laboratory.
- Participation in the ongoing Continuing Medical Education course co-sponsored by Harvard Medical School, Tufts University School of Medicine, and the NAASO: The Obesity Society to transfer the latest information on the causes, consequences and treatment of obesity to the practicing physician. Participation of Center members in the course provides expertise not readily available elsewhere. In addition, BNORC’s inclusion in the CME course helps to promote the identity of the Center and establishes the Center as a resource for expertise in obesity related activities.
- BNORC Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminars (ABM Core): The Study Group meeting includes research seminars and presentations of research in progress and grant proposals for critical review. These bi-monthly meetings are held at BUSM.
- Obesity Journal Club (Clinical and Community Research Core): The Obesity Journal Club meets semi-weekly at TUSM to review papers published in biomedical journal that relate to obesity in population settings. Occasionally, the hour is used for doctoral students to present and get feedback on work in progress.
- Epidemiology Working Group Sponsored Seminars (Epidemiology and Genetics Core): This seminar series is held at Harvard School of Public Health and highlights a guest lecturer in a related field. Please click here for a link to upcoming seminars in the Department of Nutrition, HSPH.
Description of Educational Opportunities
Please note that the Center’s Administrative Core distributes a weekly list of local enrichment activities related to nutrition and obesity via email to BNORC members and others who have expressed an interest. This list includes seminars and programs that are sponsored and/or co-sponsored by the Center as well as other offerings that are not related to the Center. Please email the Center Administrator (email@example.com) if you would like to be added to this list.