Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center
Seminar Series/Study Group Listings
- BNORC Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminars: Meets select Tuesdays at 10am
- Monday Nutrition Seminars at the Harvard School of Public Health
- Tufts - HNRCA Monday Seminar Series
DIVISION OF NUTRITION AT HARVARD, LONGWOOD NUTRITION SEMINAR 2014-2015,
Meets 1st Tuesday of Each Month, 12:00 – 1:00 PM
Obesity Journal Clubsponsored by the CCR Core of BNORC
The Obesity Journal Club will meet on Tuesday, February 9th from 12-1pm in the Jaharis 254 Conference Room at Tufts (Health Sciences Campus, 150 Harrison Ave). Eleanor Shonkoff, Ph.D., postdoctoral scholar at ChildObesity180 at the Tufts Friedman School of Nutrition Science & Policy, will present and facilitate a discussion of 'An experimental field study of weight salience and food choice', by Incollingo Rodriguez et al., published in in Appetite, 89 (2015) 215–218.
Faculty and students in the greater Boston area are welcome to attend and present. Those interested in participating may come to Tufts or join the discussion in a webinar style format by dialing in via WebEx. If you would like to receive a PDF of the article that will be discussed and/or a WebEx invitation, please email email@example.com
Faculty and students in the greater Boston area are welcome to attend and present. Those interested in participating may come to Tufts or join the discussion in a webinar style format by dialing in via WebEx. If you would like to receive a PDF of the article that will be discussed and/or a WebEx invitation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuesday, February 9, 2016 from 1:30 -2:30 PM
“In Vivo Fluorescence Imaging Applications in Inflammation”
Jeffrey D. Peterson, Ph.D.
Director of Applied Biology, Perkin Elmer Life Science & Technology
Location: BUMC, EBRC Building, 650 Albany Street, 7th Floor, Room 714
2nd Biannual Conference Childhood Obesity in the Community: Turning Science Into CareSponsored by new balance FOUNDATION and Obesity Prevention Center, Boston Children’s Hospital
March 31-April 1, 2016
Location: The Charles Hotel, 1 Bennett Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
Call For Abstracts Submissions are due by January 15, 2016.
More Information: email, website
Symposium – co-sponsored by the Epidemiology & Genetics Core of BNORC
“Omics: Advances, Applications, and Translation in Nutrition”
Co-chaired by Frank Hu, MD, PhD, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health & Miguel A. Martínez-González, MD, PhD, MPH, Universidad de Navarra
Monday, May 9, 2016 from 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Location: Joseph B. Martin Conference Center, 2nd floor, The Pechet Room, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston
Dannon Institute Academic Mid-Career Nutrition Leadership Program
Intensive three-day training program designed to define and support the 21st century leadership needs within the academic discipline of nutrition for faculty who have completed their terminal degree training 10-20 years ago.
June 12-16, 2016
Applications due Feb 12, 2016
Eligibility criteria and more information
Ongoing Enrichment Activities
- BNORC hosts an Annual Program or Retreat that provides an opportunity for Center members and other Boston area investigators and clinicians to participate in scientific exchange. This program includes participation of all currently-funded Pilot and Feasibility investigators and is attended by the Center’s Scientific Advisory Committee.
- Obesity Medicine Interhospital Rounds is a conference series, which is a collaborative effort among the obesity treatment programs at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston Medical Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Tufts Medical Center and the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. It will be held Wednesday evenings from 6:30-8:00 pm approximately 6 times per year, rotating to a different hospital for each session.
- Annual symposium or workshop organized by one of the four core laboratories. These programs are intended to provide an educational forum for new and established investigators in the area(s) of expertise of the responsible core laboratory.
- Participation in the ongoing Continuing Medical Education course co-sponsored by Harvard Medical School, Tufts University School of Medicine, and the NAASO: The Obesity Society to transfer the latest information on the causes, consequences and treatment of obesity to the practicing physician. Participation of Center members in the course provides expertise not readily available elsewhere. In addition, BNORC’s inclusion in the CME course helps to promote the identity of the Center and establishes the Center as a resource for expertise in obesity related activities.
- BNORC Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminars (ABM Core): The Study Group meeting includes research seminars and presentations of research in progress and grant proposals for critical review. These bi-monthly meetings are held at BUSM.
- Obesity Journal Club (Clinical and Community Research Core): The Obesity Journal Club meets semi-weekly at TUSM to review papers published in biomedical journal that relate to obesity in population settings. Occasionally, the hour is used for doctoral students to present and get feedback on work in progress.
- Epidemiology Working Group Sponsored Seminars (Epidemiology and Genetics Core): This seminar series is held at Harvard School of Public Health and highlights a guest lecturer in a related field. Please click here for a link to upcoming seminars in the Department of Nutrition, HSPH.
Description of Educational Opportunities
Please note that the Center’s Administrative Core distributes a weekly list of local enrichment activities related to nutrition and obesity via email to BNORC members and others who have expressed an interest. This list includes seminars and programs that are sponsored and/or co-sponsored by the Center as well as other offerings that are not related to the Center. Please email the Center Administrator (email@example.com) if you would like to be added to this list.